Monday, January 15, 2007

Apocalypto



So historically it's nonsense but I don't think anyone with half a brain will have any trouble figuring that one out, though the decision to have the whole thing acted out in Mayan lends a kind of veracity to the proceedings which they certainly don't deserve and don't really need. Add to this some rather dodgy choices of language (a fairly explicit reference to the lords prayer, an implicit connecting of the Mayan civilization with the Jewish religion through a whole load of cues), and the totally in your face notion that these savages had it coming spelled out in foot high letters of the opening quote and well, you get the picture...

On the other hand the film is an intense, muscular, action horror chase film. Echoes of Predator, First Blood, a liberal crimson splattering of Cannibal Holocaust and a surprise homage to Tintin. It's really relentless and gory violence, and the whole thing has a kind hallucinatory intensity about it that you don't see that often in mainstream cinema. It's a real shame that the film's blunt and offensive political subtext prevented me from really getting on board for the ride.


IMDB

4 comments:

Neil Stewart said...

Alistair and Matt Lane saw this the other day. Al tells me that Matt's comment was "you can say a lot of things about Mel Gibson, but he's certainly come a long way since Lethal Weapon IV", which is certainly true!

Dan said...

"Those who criticise the movie should do their homework. I did," say Mel Gibson.*

Good soundbite, Riggs, but you obviously didn't do your homework particularly well. Hence smallpox and Spaniards arriving in the wrong order and in the wrong era. Ho hum.

Or perhaps he meant that he'd seriously researched the likelihood of anyone suffering a spear wound through their side (hello Jesus, I mean Jaguar Paw) being able to run for a day or two without dying of their injuries in a tropical rainforest without any noticeable infection. Oh yes, I remember, he ate a leaf while running.

The more I think about this film, the more I find objectionable. Although I did enjoy the pace and gore. Can I suggest we all sit down and watch 'The Passion of the Christ' some time? Perhaps followed by a big argument about Jesus.

* from here: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16012007/325/gibson-hits-critics.html

Tom P said...

That sounds like an excellent plan. To be honest though I'm not sure there aren't better things for me to spend a couple of hours of my life doing.

Dan said...

You're right. 'Mad Max' would be a much better choice.